Winter Story Companions
This season, I created some winter story companions for speech therapy.
I use books in almost EVERY SINGLE speech therapy session. They are very engaging, and I am able to target almost any speech and/or language goal!
Also, throwing in extra literacy practice can't hurt anyone!
However, for my clients with language goals, I do like to have some focused materials to practice:
- WH questions
- story grammar
Keep reading to grab a free copy for Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats.
Theory Behind The Materials
As always, I like to review the theory behind the materials created at Speech Therapy Talk Services, LLC.
The goal of this activity is to keep speech and language therapy activities functional, natural, and meaningful. Reading is one task that checks all the boxes. The additional bonus is that most children already love to read so it never feels like work.
Articulation & Phonological Awareness Ideas:
- Have the client find pictures that begin with their sound
- Ask the client a question about the book and have the required response contain their target sound
- Name pictures with the target sound
WH questions ideas:
- Read through the story. Pause and ask WH questions while you read
- Once finished reading, review WH questions using the story companion below
Story Grammar ideas:
- Start the book. Once the setting has been introduced, review the setting.
- Keep reading. Once the "problem" arises, review it!
- Finish the book. Open the story companion and review the story grammar!
- Introduce/review vocabulary in context of the book.
- Open companion and quiz/practice vocabulary
How To Use Materials
Once you click the link below, it will prompt you to "make a copy." Please make a copy!
To use the materials:
- Open the file
- Click "present" in the top right corner
- Click through the presentation.
- Once you reach the sequence section, click "esc" to exit the presentation.
- To move around the sequence cards, you must be in "edit mode."
- To use the next 2 sections (vocabulary), click "present" again.
Become a Member
If you would like to become a member of Speech Therapy Talk for a small monthly free, please click the link below.
As a member, you have access to hundreds of materials (print and no-print) including:
- Seasonal games
- Drill-based no-print materials
- story companions
- grammar worksheets and games
- WH question materials
- Parent handouts
- Early intervention handouts
- Late talker guides and materials
- Cariboo cards
- I-spy games
- Phonological awareness no-print materials
- Teaching guides for artic and language
- Vocabulary materials
- Story grammar materials
The BEST part is that new material is added weekly and you have access to it all.
Access Free Materials
For members, I have added the following story companions:
- Snowy Day
- Froggy Gets Dressed (always a hit)
- The Biggest Snowman Ever
- I will be updating Gingerbread Girl next week so be on the look out for that.
To access the materials, click the link to login and then click on "story companions."
To access the free story companion, click the link below.
Bridget is an ASHA certified, practicing speech-language pathologist. She is passionate about providing parents with information on child speech and language development as well as provide functional, easy activities to do at home! Parents have the power to make a real difference. Follow Bridget at Facebook and Pinterest for more fun!
Author of child language development eBook series