At this level, you are going to teach your child how to say TH correctly. Use all the information you learned in How to Say TH to make this process easier.
I like to start the teaching phase with a mirror. This technique works well for most children. If your child is distracted by it, remove it. You can follow each step simply by looking at each other.
TH is a visual sound which means that your child can easily see how to say it by looking at you. Bring attention to your face as much as possible during these practices.
Materials: A mirror
How to do activity:
1. Sit down at a table with your child. Get out a portable mirror. If you don't have a portable mirror, sit in front of any mirror in your house.
2. Talk about how your tongue sticks out between your teeth when you say the TH sound. Demonstrate and have your child copy.
3. Now, with tongue slightly protruding past teeth, blow air gently with your voice box on (buzzing) and off (not buzzing). Have your child imitate you.
4. Talk about how it feels and practice this for a few turns.
5. Once your child has mastered this position, move on to practicing syllables from the syllable list below with this same technique.
6. Play with which cues work best for your child as you move through the list.
7. If your child is having a hard time saying TH in syllables (which is common with this sound), focus your practice on "tha." Do an exaggerated TH and the slowly bring your tongue straight back for the "a." Make sure not to stop your airflow. Have your child copy this and make sure their teeth don't touch their lips.
8. Once your child can say TH, say a syllable that has the TH sound such as "tha," "tho," "ath," or "ith," etc... and have your child repeat it. Make sure to cover syllables that have TH in the initial, medial, and final position.
Now that your child knows how to say TH and what cues are helpful, head over to Drill Practice & Flashcard Games at the word level to start teaching and
Don't spend too much time here.
If you would like to cancel your subscription, you may do so at any time. Click the button below.