At this level, you are going to teach your child how to say SH correctly. Use all the information you learned in How to Say SH to make this process easier.
I like to use a mirror during the initial teaching phase. This technique works well for most children. If your child is distracted by it, remove it. You can follow each step simply by looking at each other.
How to Teach:
1. Sit down at a table with your child. Get out a portable mirror. If you don't have one, use any mirror you can find in the house.
2. Tell your child to say "shhhhhh" while placing a finger in front their mouth as if to tell someone to be quiet. If this works (sometimes it does), you are done! It might not be that easy though.
3. You may need to tell your child to round their lips like an ''O" (this is where the mirror comes in handy) or make a kissing face!
4. With the lips rounded, tell your child to close teeth slightly and say SH. This should work! However, if it doesn't, keep reading.
5. With lips rounded and teeth almost closed, make sure the jaw is up and centered. Then place a finger behind the chin and press up slightly. This will encourage your child to lift their tongue up to the roof of the mouth. With this position, have your child say SH.
6. One last way to teach your child to say SH! Tell your child to say S and then slowly round lips until you hear an SH.
7. Once you get a successful SH, practice saying the word "shoe." This is the easiest sound combination to start with.
8. Now, you are ready to practice SH in syllables! Say a SH syllable such as "sha," "shoo," "ish," "ush," etc.. and have your child repeat it. Make sure to cover syllables that have SH in the initial, medial and final position.
9. Provide verbal, visual, and tactile cues as needed.
Once your child can say SH, move on!
Now that your child knows how to say SH and what cues are helpful, head over to Drill Practice & Flashcard Games at the word level to start teaching and
Don't spend too much time here.
If you would like to cancel your subscription, you may do so at any time. Click the button below.